If you’re looking for astronomy gift experiences, presents, or ideas for your own wish-list, then our suggestions might include something suitable. As it’s such a popular hobby and appeals to earthlings all ages, from young children to senior citizens, there are all kinds of gifts available at prices to suit all budgets.
So, whether you’re looking for a stocking-filler for a child under ten or a special gift for an adult who has reached a milestone in life these suggestions for astronomy gift experiences and ideas for astonomy themed presents should give you food for thought.
Astronomy Gift Experiences
Gifts don’t have to be physical objects like the ones shown below. They can just as easily be astronomy gift experiences or tickets to a special astronomical event. These make an excellent way of introducing newcomers to the hobby and the perfect gift for someone who wants to broaden their horizons.
You could arrange for a visit to one of the UK’s observatories, or if you’re feeling very generous, combine a holiday with a visit to one the world famous observatories abroad.
Astronomy Breaks & Observatory Visits UK
Astro Adventures in North Devon provide bed and breakfast breaks for star gazers looking for astronomy gift experiences away from the city lights. You can use their telescopes or bring your own.
AstroVentures offer astronomy workshops, courses, and all kinds of activities, for beginners through to professional astronomers. You’ll find them at the Dark Sky Discovery Observatory at the Battlesteads Hotel in Wark, Northumberland.
Eddington Lodge have offer self-catering holidays and short breaks in North Cornwall for star gazers of all ages and experience. They have a fully equipped observatory and observation pods.
Galloway Astronomy Centre are located in the Dark Sky Park area in the Galloway Forest National Park, Dumfries, Scotland. Bed and breakfast accommodation with a range of astronomical equipment is available.
In the North East of England you can visit the Northumberland International Dark Sky Park and Kielder Observatory. The park contains several types of accommodation and the observatory holds a series of events each year.
In Scotland, book a visit to the Scottish Dark Skies Observatory and planetarium.
Astronomy Holidays in Europe
Casa Zaguan, Vilaflor, Tenerife is near the dark skies of Parque nacional del Teide. It offers astronomy holidays and tours.
Centro de Observação Astronómica no Algarve (COAA) has telescopes and observatories available to guests staying in their bed and breakfast rooms. It’s is in The Algarve (Portugal).
Dark Skies Tenerife offer stargazing tours up on the mountainsides, with the dark skies of Parque nacional del Teide above.
Les Granges, France has telescopes available for guests renting their Provence-style farmhouse.
Astronomy Gifts For Kids
One of the most popular astronomy gifts for children are the star projectors that double as a comforting night light. They can be fairly simple displays of star and moon shapes but they can also be astronomically correct portrayals of the solar system and the constellations.
So there are options there for children of nursery age as well as older children and teenagers. Some adults enjoy star projectors too, and they can double as a party accessory adding mood lighting to a room.
- DIY Concept - Assemble your own planetarium model, Paint it and add highlights to create the glow effect. Watch the solar model glow in the dark. It’s out of this world!
- Expose the model to light or torch light for a minute. Turn off the light and watch them glow like magic! This glow-in-the-dark fun is as unlimited as your imagination.
- The astronomy model is made of high quality plastic material, which is tough and durable. Your baby can safely play with this toy.
- The astronomy model can build early shape, number, color recognition skill and enrich astronomical knowledge, it can inspire children's imagination as well as promote their physical and intellectual development.
- Ideal to express your child’s interest in science, extremely helpful for your children on creative thinking
- A set of 6 wonderful wooden constellation discs - 1. Cassiopeia, the Seated Queen 2. Orion, the Great Hunter 3. Canis Major, the Greater Dog 4. Ursa Major, the Plough 5. Ursa Minor, the Little Bear and 6. Andromeda
- FUN FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY - Explore the stars in your home by shining a torch through the constellation discs to project them on the wall
- EDUCATIONAL - includes facts about Constellations
- Perfect ECO FRIENDLY gift or stocking filler for PLAY and LEARNING
- Suitable for Boys and Girls who love the stars and space
- Fun, easy to learn, educational and highly addictive, award winning game.
- Race your fellow astronauts to explore the planets and moons of our solar system and then return safely back to Earth.
- Rockets, planets, moons, comets, asteroids, black holes, worm holes, supernovas and more.
- Fascinating facts on all the different planet and moon cards.
- Different levels of play make this family game accessible for a broad range of ages and abilities.
Astronomy Gifts For Adults
The obvious astronomy gifts for adults will be things like astronomy binoculars or a very special telescope, but assuming they are already suitably equipped in that department here are some alternative suggestions.
- Exquisite workmanship ensures a comfortable fit
- The design makes this bracelet unique and full of charm
- The surface is uneven and porous. Easy to clean.
- Made of natural stones, with natural ice cracks and pits on the surface are normal.
- Perfect for birthdays, bridesmaids, Christmas, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Easter, etc.
- Astronomy Gifts. Nine Planets are the inner planets of the solar system,they are Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto(dwarf planet).
- Each gemstone are pure natural stone and unique,not man-made or synthetic like many others being sold.
- Different Colors And Sizes Representing the Different Planets.The color of the gem is designed to mimic the swirling features of the planet's appearance.
- Great looking desk decoration.It is a nice gift for graduate, space enthusiast, gem collectors, rock lovers,science teachers, budding astronomers, astronauts or anyone who loves natural stones and astronomi.
- Nice packing: Nine Planets Stones + Walnut Base + Color Brochures + White Craft Box.
- ❈High Quality❈ The crystal ball is made of top quality K9 crystal, no impurity, no scratch. Size of ball: 3.15 inches in diameter.
- ❈Clear Image❈ The 3D image was engraved by laser, and it is scaling down at the same proportion of the real planets. Each planet engraved with a name.
- ❈Colorful LED Base❈ The LED base has 6 modes of light, you can let it change colors by itself or choose the color which you want.
- ❈Unique Gifts❈ The hight quality ball is a perfect gifts for astronomy lovers. You can gift it to your friends, teacher, boyfriend, husband, children. It will be a surprise for them who are astronomy Enthusiast
- ❈Home Decoration❈ The crystal ball can be used as a home or office decoration or as a gift to others.
Apollo 11 50th Anniversary 2019
The 50th anniversary of the Moon landing in July 1969 kicked off a wave of new and renewed enthusiasm for space exploration, particularly manned missions into Earth orbit and to our nearest neighbour, the Moon.
There are all kinds of commemorative gifts and souvenirs available to fans of astronomy and space flight. We’ve listed a few below.
- Hardcover Book
- Christopher Riley (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 216 Pages - 04/08/2019 (Publication Date) - J H Haynes & Co Ltd (Publisher)
- 50th Anniversary, Moon Landing (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 110 Pages - 07/20/2019 (Publication Date) - Independently published (Publisher)
Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Edition (Haynes Manuals)
Fans of Haynes Manuals know only too well how they are packed with detail, illustrations, and photos that explain how machines work. Originally (and still) published to explain the workings of cars and other forms of motorised transport, the idea to use the same format for iconic aircraft and space vehicles was pure gold.
The Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Edition was published in July 2019 and is attracting rave reviews and five star ratings. This is the story of NASA Mission AS-506 and the hardware that made it possible to take three men to the Moon and return them safely to Earth.
In this book you’ll learn all about the space suits the astronauts wore, the communications systems, the Saturn V rocket, and of course the Lunar module that delivered Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin to the lunar surface while Michael Collins awaited above for their safe return.
Published in the same size and format as all other Haynes manuals but in a commemorative cover, this book will be enjoyed by the whole family. It’s the sort of book that young children will pour over, looking at all the pictures, while teenagers and adults will enjoy the technical details.
Astronomy For Dummies (2017)
This book was originally published in 1999 and has had several updates and reprints since then. Then latest version is the 2017 edition.
Like many of the For Dummies books it provides a crash course in a particular subject and it has an average of 4.5 out of five stars from 64 reviews on Amazon.
Astronomy For Dummies will teach you all the basics about astronomy and a whole lot more. It contains clear and easy to follow descriptions of the night sky illustrated with full colour photos and inserts. There is also some bonus online content for purchasers.
Once you’ve read through and absorbed some of the material you can take the end of chapter quizzes to test your knowledge. Read this book and the night sky will not be quite the mystery it is now. At least you’ll be able to find our way around the heavens and explain the basics of what you see.
This latest edition contains descriptions of much of the more recent discoveries in space. It also lists places to stay that offer astronomy holidays, how to guides for sky watching, suggested telescope models, and beginners’ guides to supplies and accessories.
- Maran (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 384 Pages - 08/25/2017 (Publication Date) - For Dummies (Publisher)
- Owens, Steve (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 352 Pages - 01/25/2013 (Publication Date) - For Dummies (Publisher)
Advantages of Astronomy Gift Experiences
One of the big advantages of being the recipient of one of these astronomy gift experiences is the fact that they are often best used in autumn and winter months. So if there are long gaps in your diary after summer’s end then this will give you something to look forward to.
Of course, it is not essential that you should cash in your astronomy gift experiences vouchers in the off-season, but during winter in particular the nights are longer and air is so much more clear. Think of the crisp clear nights when there’s likely to be a frost. The dust that fills the air, particularly in late summer during the harvest, is long gone and one is left with a view of the stars that is as pure as it’s likely to be within a few dozen miles of urban and industrial areas.
Astronomy gift experiences are available all the year round. The advantages of summer are the warmer evenings but the nights are shorter. In winter the nights are longer and the skies are more clear, but you will have to wrap up very warm. Nothing ruins a evening’s stargazing more quickly than getting cold.
What about the weather?
If you are a lucky recipient of any astronomy gift experiences vouchers then don’t be concerned about the weather but do remember to be flexible about your availability to set off at short notice.
Reputable providers of stargazing experiences will keep you briefed on the weather up to 48 hours before the provisionally booked date. If there is a likelihood of cloud or any precipitation then they should postpone the event until the skies have cleared.
So no, your astronomy gift experiences voucher won’t be wasted but you should ensure that you’re available should there be a gap in the weather.
Final thoughts on astronomy gift experiences
If you live in the middle of a city or in any heavily light-polluted area and you long to gaze at the stars then there are opportunities for you is most parts of the country. Obviously, the best places are those in which the skies are the darkest, as far away as possible from any artificial light.
In the UK, we may not have vast expanses of desert and although we are an island nation it’s not practical for most people to see the stars out at sea, but we do have some beautiful moorland, national parks, an even a few mountainous areas in which a view of the Milky Way is not an unusual event.
The giving of astronomy gift experiences to the young may just be the inspiration for the adoption of a lifelong hobby but it could also lead to a degree in astrophysics.
For older adults who are the recipients of astronomy gift experiences it may be the fulfillment of a lifelong wish, to see the stars in their purest form and to gaze and wonder at the galaxy and all its mysteries.
Last update on 2021-11-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API