Celestron telescopes are among the best sellers and it’s not hard to see why when you take into account that it’s a brand synonymous with top of the range optical instruments.
Their product range includes not only telescopes, but also sport optics (binoculars, and microscopes. Founded in 1960, the company has been in a process of continuous development of the telescope ever since. They strive to invoke a sense of curiosity, wonder, and fun among those who purchase their telescopes.
The late theoretical physicist Professor Stephen Hawking used a Celestron telescope to explore the universe from his home in Cambridge. The device was configured to be controlled from his PC and with it he was able to explore things like craters on the Moon, the Orion Nebula, and a pair of galaxies in the constellation Ursa Major. It would be hard to find a more clear endorsement for a brand than that!
Celestron have a global outreach program, “… dedicated to promoting the importance of science education and dark-sky preservation throughout our communities.”
The company ethos is very much about promoting an interest in science and exploration.
4 Best Selling Celestron Telescopes
- Superior optics: The Celestron 70mm Travel Scope features high-quality, fully-coated glass optics, a potent 70mm objective lens, a lightweight frame, and a custom backpack to carry it all. Its quality is unmatched in its class and against competitors.
- Powerful eyepieces for up-close viewing: Our telescope for astronomy beginners is equipped with two high-quality eyepieces (20mm and 10mm) that provide low- and high-power views of celestial objects at night and terrestrial objects during the day.
- Large 70mm objective lens: Our refractor telescope is equipped with a large 70mm aperture objective lens that provides enhanced, brighter views compared to the 50mm model while adding very little additional weight. Setting up and using the Travel Scope is quick and easy.
- International products have separate terms, are sold from abroad and may differ from local products, including fit, age ratings, and language of product, labeling or instructions.
- POWERFUL REFLECTOR TELESCOPE: The Celestron AstroMaster 130EQ Newtonian telescope is a powerful and user-friendly reflector telescope. It features fully-coated glass optics, a sturdy and lightweight frame, two eyepieces, a StarPointer red dot finderscope and an adjustable tripod
- HIGH-QUALITY 114MM OPTICS: The heart of the system is a fully-coated 130mm primary mirror. The AstroMaster mount features two slow-motion control knobs that allow you to make precision adjustments to view celestial and terrestrial objects
- QUICK SETUP & LIGHTWEIGHT FRAME: This telescope for adults and kids to be used together features a lightweight frame and a manual German Equatorial mount for smooth and accurate pointing. Setup is quick and easy, with no tools required
- INCLUDED ACCESSORIES: We’ve included 2 eyepieces (20mm and 10mm), a tripod, and a StarPointer red dot finderscope. Accessories also include a FREE download of one of the top consumer rated astronomy software programs
- UNBEATABLE WARRANTY AND CUSTOMER SUPPORT: Buy with confidence from the world’s #1 telescope brand, based in California since 1960. You’ll also receive a two-year warranty
- 80mm short refractor telescope with fully coated glass optics and a lightweight frame
- Observe in no time with a quick and easy, no-tool setup
- Accessories include two eyepieces (20mm and 4mm), a erect image diagonal, 3x Barlow lens, and a finderscope
- Slow motion rod control for smooth and accurate pointing
- Adjustable height tripod includes an accessory tray
- Unleash the power of your smartphone to take you on a guided tour of the night sky—no telescope experience required
- Award-winning and Patent-pending StarSense sky recognition technology uses your smartphone to analyze star patterns overhead and calculate its position in real time
- StarSense Explorer app automatically generates a list of objects currently visible. View planets, brighter nebulae and galaxies, star clusters, and double stars from the city. Or take your telescope to darker skies to view faint, deep sky objects
- Manual altazimuth mount with smooth, dual-axis slow-motion controls makes it easy to follow the on-screen arrows to your desired target. When the bullseye turns green, it’s ready to view in the telescope’s eyepiece
- 102mm (4”) refractor with high transmission XLT optical coatings and enough light gathering ability to view all the best celestial objects
Choosing one of the Celestron Telescopes
Too much choice can be bewildering, especially if you’re not familiar with all the terminology. We’ve covered some of the basic information about telescope specifications in our Best Telescope For Kids & Starters post. What follows is more information and some that is specific to Celestron telescopes.
Celestron’s own guides advise the reader to get to know all the various types first and to conduct a certain amount of research before buying. So if you’re reading this then you’re following that advice.
Telescopes show an inverted image of the target object and the optional image erector flips the resulting image to show the object the right way up. When you’re looking at astronomical objects an inverted image doesn’t matter so much but it would if you were using the same telescope to view things on the ground. The image erector loses some of the light by processing the image so it’s not always used with astronomy telescopes.
Celestron suggest that after the best quality optics for the lenses and mirrors, the next most important thing is the quality of the telescope’s mount. This is because the slightest movement can cause a wobble in the view and this shake is magnified with the increase in magnification of the telescope. So it’s really important to have a very firm and steady mount.
The simplest form of mount is the alt-azimuth (altitude and azimuth). The mounts provide movement in the vertical plane (up and down) and the horizontal plane (left and right).
Dobsonian mounts (named after their inventor, John Dobson) and are generally used for larger reflectors with tubes more than 16 inches across. The telescope sits in the mount and can be detached easily, make them transportable.
Motorised Equatorial mounts are designed to keep the telescope aligned to an object by compensating for the Earth’s rotation. As the Earth spins the sky seems to move, so in order to maintain a fix on any object the telescope must move as well.
GoTo mounts are motorised alt-azimuth mounts connected to a computer. The computer contains a database of thousands of objects in the night sky. The user selects the object and the computer calculates its position and not only accurately aligns the telescope to it but tracks it as it moves.
The GoTo feature is a desirable feature since it saves so much time. The ability to rely on the telescope to find an object will draw in and hold your attention much more easily. After all, you want to observe the sky, not spend a lot of time trying to find things to look at.
Celestron’s NextStar range of computerised telescopes
- Reduce glare and increase contrast of the Moon with the Celestron 1.25” Moon Filter
- Also useful for extra bright planets as well as terrestrial viewing over sand or snow
- Threads onto most 1.25” eyepieces in seconds
- Package Dimensions: 3.8 L x 7.2 H x 4.8 W (centimetres)
- Compatible with 2" eyepieces High quality 130 mm reflector. Fully computerized Altazimuth mount, and StarPointer finderscope to help with alignment and accurately locating objects.
- Quick-release fork arm mount, optical tube and accessory tray for quick no tool set up.
- Sturdy stainless steel tripod and accessory tray included.
- BONUS Astronomy Software download with a 10,000 object database, printable sky maps and 75 enhanced images.
- T-Power Brand-new Input Voltage Range: AC 100V - 240V : Output 12V 5A (2.5A Compatible)
- Delivers up to 5A @ 12 VDC, plenty of power to run our biggest mounts with heavy loads , Switching-type AC-to-DC power adapter provides more power with less weight than transformer-style power adapter
- Compatible Telescopes : LCM , NexStar SLT , NexStar SE , SkyProdigy , Advanced , Advanced VX , CPC GPS XLT , CPC Deluxe HD Series
- LCM Series, NexStar SLT Series, NexStar SE Series, SkyProdigy Series, Advanced Series, Advanced VX Series, CPC Series, CPC Deluxe HD Series, CPC Deluxe HD Series : LCM Series : 114LCM 90LCM 80LCM 60LCM NexStar SLT Series : 130SLT 102SLT 127SLT 90SLT NexStar SE Series : 4SE 5SE 6SE 8SE SkyProdigy Series : 6 90 130 Advanced VX Series : VX8 VX11 CPC Series : 800 1100 XLT CPC Deluxe HD Series : 800 1100 HD P/N SM030CU120250
- Model: 22050 , 22051 , 31150 , 31151 , 22054 , 22087 , 22096 , 22097 , 31145 , 11049 , 11036 , 11068 , 11069 , 22201 , 22202 , 22203 , 31153 , 11076 , 11007 , 11008 , 11009 , 11073-XLT , 11074-XLT , 11075-XLT , 32054 , 12079 , 22020 , 32062 , 12026 , 12031 , 12046 , 12067
Celestron’s Astromaster LT range produce bright, clear images of the Moon and planets
- Manual German equatorial mount with setting circles to accurately locate and track sky objects
- Adjustable, full height steel tripod with deluxe accessory tray. Quick and easy no-tool setup
- Accessories include a 20mm and 10mm eyepiece, a finderscope, and a motor drive, Tripod Weight: 3.4 Kg
- Download Starry Night Basic Software with a 10,000 object database, printable sky maps and 75 enhanced images.
- HIGH-QUALITY 102MM OPTICS: The heart of the system is a fully-coated 102mm achromatic lens. The AstroMaster mount features a panning handle that allows you to make precision adjustments to view celestial and terrestrial objects
- Adjustable, full height steel tripod with deluxe accessory tray
- Quick and easy no-tool setup
- Accessories include a 20mm and 10mm eyepiece, a finderscope, and an erect image diagonal - ideal for both terrestrial and astronomical use
- Coated all-glass optics for clear, crisp images
The new generation of Celestron telescopes includes WiFi control using their free SkyPortal app. So now you can simply select the object on your smartphone and instruct the telescope to go to it.
Support for Celestron Telescopes
As you can see some of these telescopes are quite an investment, so you’ll want the reassurance of not only the standard two year warranties but also professional support from the manufacturers.
Happily, Celestron delivers here too. Registering your product will activate the warranty. If you need support with the setup and use of your telescope then there is a knowledge base to explore, as well as manuals and software updates.
They also provide some setup videos that show you exactly how to assemble and prepare your telescope. In fact, their YouTube channel contains over 190 videos covering all kinds of subjects, tutorials, and how-to guides (playlist of 24 videos). So there’s plenty there to keep you occupied when the cloud prevents any star gazing.
If your telescope malfunctions then they have a ticketing system for submitting support requests, as well as online chat for quick questions and updates.
It’s worth following the brand on social media, particularly by subscribing to their YouTube channel. You can learn much from reading the comments from other owners who react to videos they’ve watched. If you post a question you may find another owner can answer it for you.
The best telescope for you is the one you use most. A large, heavy, and powerful telescope may have been exciting to set up and use the first few times but if it’s a chore to do so then it can quickly become another unused item in a cupboard.
A smaller, lighter telescope that is ready in minutes and which tracks objects across the sky, leaving you free to observe and take photographs, is a much better investment.
The telescopes we’ve listed above are the best sellers with the highest ratings. If you read the reviews that people have left you’ll see why they continue to inspire a sense of wonder and curiosity in those who own them.
Last update on 2021-10-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API